Sunday, September 21, 2014

Dear Elodie (10 months old)

(just as sweet as can be)

Dear Elodie,

My lovebug, you are on the move every waking moment these days!!  I know you will be walking on your own so soon.  Right now you love holding onto my hand or daddy's hand (only one hand!) and walking everywhere.   You are completely non-stop.  It is so entertaining to watch you explore and I try to give you all the space you need.  You are quite the climber which means I certainly need to keep an eye on you.  I was a big climber when I was little so clearly you get your skills from your mama.  You can also move at lightening speed... seriously I do not know how you move so fast.  You will be sitting playing with toys in a safe spot and I'll think ok this is a good time to try to rinse these dishes so I turn my back for TWO SECONDS and you are on the other side of the room getting into something you shouldn't.  You are a sneaky little goof.

(ha, you mean you don't want me to touch thissssssss sticker???)
(mwahahaha the sticker is mine)

Sooooooo daddy... you are really loving on him these days.  There is no doubt in my mind that you will be a total daddy's girl.  Though I still think I can claim the #1 spot at the moment I see you gravitating towards daddy more and more each day.  He has been working from home so we have seen a lot of him recently and I think that has really helped you two bond.  Sometimes in the morning before daddy has gotten up you will walk me over to the bedroom door and wait for me to let you in so you can go find him.  There is nothing sweeter than seeing your face light up when you see your daddy.  

(she is getting very good at waving)
(she always puts on the sweetest face when she is doing something I've asked her not to do) 

For a little while I thought you were going to be really shy but it seems like you are actually going to be quite outgoing and adventurous.  If we are in a situation where you feel comfortable you have no problem crawling up to other kids or other parents.  Several times you have crawled all over other moms at the park.  You always check to make sure I am not too far away but it makes me so happy to see you being so brave.  Every single time we go out someone comments on how cute and smiley and happy you are.  Your smile is contagious my little love.  

(cannot resist the sticker)
(such a curious little girl)

At 10 months old you...
... give the best high fives
... love eating bananas and hamburgers
... are developing quite the sense of humor
... are so close to walking
... have started to really enjoy reading
... love to imitate - clicking tongue noises, clapping, waving, scrunchy noses, dance moves
... love swimming in a pool

(mom says you can't touch the sticker)
(yes that sticker)

At the end of August we went on two trips.  First we went to St. Louis to visit Grandma and G-Paw.  Boy did we have the best time even though it was hot hot hot.  We got to see lots of family and friends - everyone was so excited to see you.  We even let you have your first taste of Ted Drewes frozen custard... yummmmm.  We don't get to travel to St. Louis very often so it makes each visit extra special.  Having you spend lots of quality time with Grandma and G-Paw is really important because we don't get to see them enough.

(but mom I really want to touch the sticker)
(but mommmmm I have to touch the sticker)

Our second trip was a little family vacation to Hilton Head with Uncle Nick and Uncle Merrick.  We were so sad that Aunt Naomi couldn't be there.  It is pretty amazing for me to watch you interact with your uncles.  I have such an incredibly close bond with them and I hope that you will have that kind of relationship with your siblings one day.  You are so lucky to have the most talented, kind, loving and fun uncles in the whole wide world.  We took you to the beach for the first time and we went swimming in the pool.  The ocean was a little scary for you but you were all about the pool.  We hope to make a beachy trip down south a summer tradition!  

(this is torture I must have that sticker)
(haha I win, the sticker is mine)

Eating has been much more successful this month.  My mommy gut was right, you just weren't ready before.  So far your favorite foods are bananas and hamburgers.  As of right now we feed you pieces of banana or hamburger (or whatever else we can get you to eat) while you play around the living room.  The highchair hasn't been too successful because you don't really like to have to stay in one spot.  We can get you to eat a decent amount if we feed you as you play and honestly I am just happy that you are actually eating solid food.  We will work on the highchair because I really want to make mealtimes a sit-down affair.  As with everything so far we are taking this one step at a time and I know we will tackle the highchair soon.

(may I please have what you have)
(wubby is her bff)

If I have learned anything so far during my short time as a parent it is that one of the greatest gifts you can give a child is your patience and trust and the space she needs to conquer new things on her own.  There is no perfect timeline for any child and I think it is too easy to get caught up on what your child is "supposed" to be doing at any age - comparison with other children is such a buzzkill, there is no faster way to crush your mommy spirit.  Elodie has proven time and again that she is going to conquer new things when she is ready and on her own terms.  I know in my heart that she is exactly where she is supposed to be.

(the famous scrunch face)

My little lovebug, you are the greatest gift I have ever been given.  I love you with all my heart and soul!

Love, 
Mom

(my moosh)

No comments:

Post a Comment